Red lentils make this quick to prepare compared to other legume-based dishes. Cooktime is around five minutes.
- microwave-safe bowl
- .25 cup dry split red lentils
- .5 cup water
- curry seasoning (curry paste/powder, turmeric, cumin, chili pepper, garlic, ginger, onion, etc)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or neutral vegetable oil of your choice)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- rinse lentils
- combine all ingredients, stir
- microwave on high until liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender, about 3-5 minutes
- salt/pepper to taste
I usually add frozen vegetables to add volume and variety: broccoli, cauliflower, and onions all work well. These heartier choices have cooktimes that match the lentils, so can be added upfront.
For an east asian flavor, swap in msg, soy sauce, and sesame or peanut oil.
red lentils $1.88/lb (Great Value, Walmart), curry powder $13.40/16oz (McCormick, Amazon), onion powder $9.49/22oz (McCormick, Amazon), avocado oil $10.98/25.4oz (Chosen Foods, Walmart), tomato paste $.42/6oz (Great Value, Walmart) ↩