Baking powder is used to puff up the chickpea flour - usually used in flatbreads - to form a fast pizza crust. Cooktime is about five minutes.
- microwave-safe bowl
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- garlic (I use granulated)
- onion (I use powdered)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 oz soft cheese: mozzarella, monterey jack, etc
- 1 oz grated parmesan/similar
- stir together dry ingredients in bowl
- add oil and water, stir to form a paste
- spread on tomato, cover with cheese
- microwave on high until dough is firm and cheese is melted, around 3 minutes
- salt/pepper to taste
Oats can replace chickpea flour to boost satiety (by adding volume) at the cost of a typical dough-like consistency. Other flour substitutes - like oat bran or almond flour - also work well.
Protein can be boosted through toppings like canned fish or a fried egg.
chickpea flour $2.69/16oz (Bob’s Red Mill, Bob’s Red Mill), olive oil $15/45oz (California Olive Ranch, Walmart), garlic powder $8.94/26oz (McCormick, Amazon), onion powder $9.49/22oz (McCormick, Amazon), baking powder $2.50/4oz (Rumford, local grocery), tomato paste $.42/6oz (Great Value, Walmart), monterey jack cheese $5/lb (Trader Joe’s, Trader Joe’s), parmesan cheese $7/lb (Trader Joe’s, Trader Joe’s) ↩