Currently my favorite meal, this savory oat dish has balanced macros but tastes like garlic bread. Cooktime is under five minutes.
- microwave-safe bowl
- .5 cup dry rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- garlic / garlic powder
- italian seasoning (thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil, marjoram, etc)
- 1 egg
- 1 oz grated parmesan/similar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- add oats, water, garlic and seasoning to bowl
- microwave oats on high for half their cook time, about 1-2 minutes
- remove, crack egg onto oats without breaking yolk
- microwave on high for another 1-2 minutes, or until egg white is mostly firm (the hot oats will cook it the rest of the way)
- remove. for a firmer yolk, spoon oats over egg, wait about 30 seconds, then scrape off
- sprinkle on olive oil and cheese, salt/pepper to taste
To reduce carbs, halve oats and add frozen vegetables: squash, peas+carrots, and green beans all work well.
For an indulgent dish analogous to mac and cheese, add cheeses of your choice before cooking. Afterwards, stir in a splash of milk or cream (I use powdered heavy cream) instead of the egg, then top with plenty of black pepper.
rolled oats $2.50/42oz (store brand, local grocery), garlic powder $8.94/26oz (McCormick, Amazon), italian seasoning $4.98/6.25oz (McCormick, Amazon), large egg $1.69/dozen (Sauder’s large grade A, Trader Joe’s), parmesan cheese $7/lb (Trader Joe’s, Trader Joe’s), olive oil $15/45oz (California Olive Ranch, Walmart) ↩